Posted: Aug 3, 2010 8:56 PM by Stefanie Boe, Jeannette Hynes
Updated: Aug 4, 2010 12:01 AM
Colorado Springs firefighters quickly knocked down a lightning-caused fire Tuesday afternoon.
Lightning struck the home on Escapardo Way, in the Village Seven neighborhood. The fire smoldered in the attic until neighbors saw flames and called 911. The fire damaged the attic, eaves, and roof of the home.
The homeowner wasn't home at the time of the fire. His dog was home and the homeowner tells News First 5, she's shaken up, but physically fine.
Crews went to several lightning-related calls throughout the afternoon. Firefighters want to remind people to give them a call if they think their home has been hit by lightning.
"We have thermal imaging cameras. We'll check the whole area and make sure it hasn't hit something where it can conduct through the ground, because it may actually cause a fire in a different location," says Battalion Chief R.C. Smith of the Colorado Springs Fire Department.