Jan 3, 2011 10:42 PM by John Romero
Mother Nature caused some big problems over the weekend. Thursday's snow and subsequent freeze caused water pipes and fire sprinkler systems all over the city to burst and flood homes and businesses. "There's frozen pipes everywhere!" says Casey Aragon of Olson Plumbing and Heating as he works on replacing a busted pipe, "On Sunday we had like 16 of them (calls). That's just on Sunday that I know for sure. Saturday was busy the whole day."
Over the weekend, Aragon and other plumbers saw many of the same human errors repeated over and over. "It's usually simple stuff like people not taking the hoses off their hose bibs outside, leaving windows open, not getting the proper heat to the pipe. It just freezes up." he explains.
But bursting pipes aren't the only problem. As the temperatures drop many of us rush to crank up the heat. "They're using their heat pretty much 24 hours a day. Without taking the necessary precautions it increases the chance that there's exposure to carbon monoxide." explains Greg Smith with Colorado Springs Utilities.
Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, vomiting, headache and fatigue. They're all very similar to what many of us experience during cold and flu season. Smith says to never take these symptoms lightly as carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly. "If you have mild flu like symptoms and you leave your house and go outside and they go away, then you come back in and start feeling it again then you need to call." he says, "Call 911 and let's get this thing checked out."
7 hours ago