Aug 31, 2013 6:46 PM by Greg Smith
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - The Denver Broncos announced several transactions on Saturday to reach the league-mandated 53-player regular-season roster limit.
In addition to the 18 players who were released or waived by the club, linebackers Stewart Bradley and Lerentee McCray as well as defensive end Quanterus Smith were placed on injured reserve. Linebacker Von Miller was designated as reserve/suspended and will not count against the team's active roster during the first six weeks of the season.
The Broncos may establish a practice squad of up to eight players beginning Sunday at 10 a.m. MDT.
The following transactions were announced by the Broncos on Saturday:
RELEASED (VESTED VETERANS)
* - The position breakdown of the 53-man roster is as follows: Quarterbacks (3), Running Backs (5), Wide Receivers (5), Tight Ends (4), Offensive Linemen (9), Defensive Linemen (7), Linebackers (6), Defensive Backs (11), Specialists (3).
* - In addition to the active roster, the Broncos currently have seven players on injured reserve, one player designated as Reserve/PUP (C J.D. Walton) and one player designated as Reserve/Suspended (LB Von Miller). Walton and Miller are eligible to return to the active roster after Week 6.
* - The active roster features 14 players who were not with the club in 2012. Included in that total are eight veteran free agents, four draft selections, one college free agent and one trade acquisition. Of the 14 new players, four are listed atop the depth chart at their respective positions (DT Terrance Knighton, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, G Louis Vasquez and WR Wes Welker).
* - Nearly half of the players (26-of-53) on the Broncos' active roster have three or fewer seasons of experience entering 2013.
* - Rookie RB C.J. Anderson made the 53-man squad to mark the 10th consecutive year a college free agent has appeared on the team's Week 1 active roster (tied for the third-longest active streak in the NFL entering this season).