Colorado

Apr 15, 2014 2:49 AM by Zach Thaxton

Co. Springs apartment fire displaces people in a dozen units

Residents of twelve apartments are at least temporarily displaced after a fire at the Shannon Glen Apartments in Colorado Springs Monday evening.

The fire at 320 North Murray Boulevard started around 9:30 p.m. in a third-floor apartment.  Thirteen apparatus from the Colorado Springs Fire Department responded to the fire, including ladder trucks which were used to rescue at least one person trapped in a third-floor apartment.  Two people were taken to the hospital for exposure to smoke, according to Lieutenant Stacy Billapando.

The investigation into the fire was in its earliest stages late Monday evening and fire crews had not yet identified a cause.  A neighbor said the fire originated in a unit adjacent to hers.  Teresa Ternaprovich told News 5 she heard smoke alarms go off, then saw smoke fill the hallway.  She said it was coming from an apartment she believed had been vacated after the tenant's eviction, but Lt. Billapando later said a person and a cat had been occupying the unit.

The Red Cross and the organization Crosses for Losses arrived on-scene within an hour of the fire's ignition to help assist displaced tenants.

»Comments

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4