Top Stories

May 4, 2013 10:31 PM by Eric Ross

Family loses car, dirt bikes and ATV in garage fire

It was a scary Saturday morning for an El Paso County family as the garage of their home went up in flames. The fire broke out on Holmes Road in Black Forest around 10 a.m.

Mark Greier and his family are counting their blessings that the fire didn't spread into their home because they had a detached garage.

"Everybody is safe and nobody is hurt," he said. "I thank God for that."

Mark's son, Zachary was the first to spot the fire but by the time Mark ran outside to investigate, the garage was already up in flames.

"I tried to move everything around the garage but it was just too hot," Mark said.

Coincidentally, Black Forest Fire Chief Bob Harvey was just yards away working on a fire mitigation project with forestry volunteers. Fortunately for the Greier family, they just mitigated their property---trimming trees around their home.

"If it hadn't been mitigated, it would have taken off and raced through the pines," Harvey said.

The contents inside the garage including a Chevy Camaro, dirt bikes, and at least one ATV are destroyed.

Investigators believe the fire started as a result of a malfunctioning electrical circuit.



»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4