Jun 4, 2014 11:32 PM by Maddie Garrett

Fire Crews Continue to Monitor Burned Building Remains in Pueblo

Pueblo Fire Department crews will be doing drive by checks throughout the night Wednesday into Thursday morning at the building in Pueblo that burned Tuesday night. PFD officially turned the building back over to the owners and insurance investigators, but the case is far from closed.

Police opened up Court Avenue Wednesday evening a little after 7:00pm. Before they could that, crews put up a fence around the building and debris and boarded up the windows to keep the public out for safety reasons.

For the people of Pueblo, this massive fire has forever changed the landscape of downtown.

"It's hard, it hurts a lot to see it gone now," said Jeff Cowan.

The fire has left a hole in the City and and a hole in the hearts of many people who were regulars at the local businesses that burned, especially Johnson Sport and Ski.

"It's been one of the little businesses that's like, been the heart of Pueblo for decades and just to see it gone so fast, it's a tragedy," said Jeff's son, Dakota Cowan.

Several people captured the flames on home videos, as the fire caught the eyes of just about everybody in Pueblo.

"We seen a whole bunch of smoke coming up from behind," said Jeff of the fire.

PFD said the fire likely started in the attic. It burned for two hours and destroyed three businesses and three store fronts, including the famous Johnson Sport and Ski.

"I came down to Johnson Sport and Ski since I was 7 or 8 years old," recalled Jeff.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was called in because of ammunition at the sports store. PFD said it was ruled not an issue though.

The only thing left still standing of the iconic store, its sign, still drawing the gaze of faithful customers.

"Hopefully the businesses are going to find their way back on their feet," said Dakota.

While firefighters continue to monitor the charred remains overnight, crews will have to come in and knock some of the building's walls inward because they are unstable after the fire. The investigation into the cause of the fire is ongoing.



»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4