News

Mar 25, 2012 12:56 AM by Jacqui Heinrich

Fire leaves family of 6 homeless

Three generations of one family-- six people all together-- are left homeless and penniless after a house fire on East Ramah Road destroyed everything they had. "It's a total loss, a total loss. They don't even have...just what they have on their backs right now," Becky Slocum, a neighbor says.

Eyewitnesses say they mobile home went up in flames fast, leaving nothing but ashes behind. "When I first came over here, the sky was pitch black. In fact we thought it was a chemical fire because it was so black," one neighbor said.

The family tells News 5 it all started when a piece of clothing got stuck in a dryer vent; they tried to put the fire out themselves with a handheld extinguisher, but were soon overcome by the flames and had to get out.

Mutual aid from Simla, Tri County and Calhan put the fire out quickly, preventing what could have been a massive grass fire with propane tanks stationed just a few feet away from the blaze. Unfortunately it was too late to save the family's home. "You're all of a sudden out to sea and there's nothing, not even anything to sit on," Slocum laments.

Tonight the Gordon family is staying with neighbors, but their next step is still unknown. The home was not insured, so the Red Cross is assisting the four adults and two children affected. If you'd like to help the Gordons you can make a donation to their disaster relief fund through the Red Cross.

 

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4