State

Jul 22, 2010 6:47 PM by Greg Boyce

Fund set up to help Segundo family

A fund has been set up for the family who lost a home and a six-year-old boy in a fire near Trinidad Wednesday morning.

The boy, Emiliano Valverde died at the scene, apparently from smoke inhalation.  His aunt, Joann Montano, 48, was flown to the University of Colorado Hospital with severe burns on her face and other parts of her body.

The fire started in the living room.  Montano was burned when she opened her bedroom door and the oxygen mask she wears ignited.

The boy was not burned. Two others at the residence were treated for smoke inhalation and released. One person was treated for a cut.

This is the second house fire on the corner of County Roads 45.4 and 18.3 in less than a year and a half and the third house to burn in the Segundo area since December of 2008.

A Memorial Fund has been set up for the Family of Emiliano at the First National Bank to help defer funeral costs. For more information call (719)-846-9881.
The fire is still under investigation by the Las Animas County Sheriff's Department, but may have been caused by an electrical problem.

 

Related Stories

»Comments

»Topics in this article

More News

Weather - Forecast
Story Photo

2 hours ago

Cooler Thursday

Windy early with blowing dust in some areas. Wind ending overnight tonight. An isolated thunderstorm possible early. Overnight low temperatures will drop...

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4