Posted: Jan 26, 2010 1:11 PM by David Ortiviz
Updated: Jan 26, 2010 1:11 PM
An organization in Pueblo is urging homeowners to test for radon in their home. According to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment more than a third of the homes in Colorado have radon levels above the EPA recommended level.
Radon is a radioactive gas that enters a home through the soil. According to the Pueblo City-County Health Department exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer. Radon has been nicknamed the invisible killer. "You can't see it, smell it, taste it-you don't know what your levels are until you test for it," said Alicia Solis, with Citizens for Clean Air in Pueblo.
Citizens for Clean Air in Pueblo recently received a grant from the EPA to provide free test kits to homeowners. Free kits are available at their office at 301 N. Main St. Suite 101 or at the Pueblo City-County Health Department at the corner of 9th and Santa Fe in Pueblo.
Jeff Sloan a homeowner in Pueblo West had his house tested several years ago, and discovered elevated radon levels. He spent about $1,300 to have a system installed that removes radon from his home and redirects it outside. Sloan was told his system should last about 12 to 20 years. "You're buying peace of mind and you know that if you would have stayed with the radon levels you had, you are putting yourself at risk," said Sloan. "You're really investing in the health of your family and the health of your home for a long time," he added.
To learn more about radon, visit the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment website.