Colorado

Jan 30, 2014 5:32 PM by Andy Koen

Hazmat incident at Falcon High chemistry class

EL PASO COUNTY - Two students and a teacher at Falcon High school suffered allergic reactions and were taken in an ambulance to the hospital for treatment this morning. Falcon principal Cheryl DeGeorge said in a message emailed to parents that the incident happened in an AP Chemistry class during the first hour of school.

DeGeorge said a group of students inadvertently mixed in an additional chemical to a sulfur compound. The reaction can cause a rash, shortness of breath and a scratchy throat.

The school evacuated about 125 students while members of the Falcon Fire Department and El Paso County Hazardous Materials Unit removed the chemicals. The chemistry lab was closed for the rest of the day to allow for continuous ventilation.

Classes are expected to resume as scheduled tomorrow. However, the school is asking parents to watch for any signs of rash or allergic reaction in their children and report them to their doctor.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos