Oct 1, 2013 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Ease Cramps From Irritable Bowel
(HealthDay News) -- Modifying what and how you eat won't cure irritable bowel disease, but it can help reduce flares.
The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America offers these suggestions:
- Eat small snacks or meals every three-to-four hours, instead of eating three large meals each day.
- Cut back on fried, greasy or high-fat foods, which can trigger gas and diarrhea.
- If you are lactose-intolerant, avoid dairy products.
- Limit foods that are high in fiber, including popcorn, some Chinese vegetables, corn, nuts and seeds.
- If you take antidiarrheal or antispasmodic medication, take them about 20 minutes before eating a meal.