Nov 14, 2012 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Is Your Child Ready for a Tricycle?
(HealthDay News) -- Riding a tricycle is a milestone for little ones, but parents should make sure their kids are ready to peddle.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions:
- Make sure your child is ready to ride, usually about age 3.
- Opt for a tricycle that's low to the ground and has big wheels, so it's less likely to tip.
- Make sure your child has a helmet that fits properly, and that the child wears it whenever riding the bike.
- Never allow your child to ride near swimming pools, parked or moving cars, or in driveways.
- Most children aren't ready for a two-wheeled bike, even with training wheels, until age 6.