Dec 18, 2012 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Prevent Disease From Pets
(HealthDay News) -- Household pets can carry germs that can be transmitted to people.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help prevent the problem:
- Avoid touching animal waste. Carefully and thoroughly wash your hands after cleaning up from pet waste.
- Don't let children play in uncovered outdoor sandboxes in public areas, which may have been contaminated with animal waste.
- Don't kiss pets on the mouth.
- If you are pregnant or have a compromised immune system, do not clean cat litter boxes or touch reptiles.
- If you have a pet reptile, keep the cage clean. Always wash hands after handling the reptile or anything in its cage.