Feb 18, 2013 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Sled Safely
(HealthDay News) -- Before your kids grab their sleds after a big snowfall, take time to explain some important safety rules.
The Nemours Foundation offers these safe-sledding guidelines:
- Make sure kids have appropriate sleds and helmets, and are properly dressed.
- Ensure that an adult is always outside watching the sledders.
- Children under age 5 should only sled with an adult.
- Children should sled while sitting in a forward-facing position, one at a time and one child per sled (unless under age 5).
- Don't create obstacles or mounds to sled over. Never allow a sled to be pulled by a vehicle.
- Make sure children know to keep arms and legs inside the sled, and to roll away from the sled if they fall off. If children can't stop, they should roll off the sled.
- Children should walk back up hills on the sides, never where others are sledding.