Aug 20, 2013 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: Wear Protective Gear When Skateboarding or Skating
(HealthDay News) -- Skateboarding and inline skating, once considered unusual sports, are now commonplace among our children.
But before your child trie either for the first time, make sure he or she follows these safety suggestions from the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Replace wheels as soon as they show significant signs of wear, and make sure they are clean and free of debris.
- Wear a properly fitting, safety-certified helmet.
- Wear elbow and knee pads, as well as wrist guards.
- Be aware of the environment you're skating in. Most accidents happen on public roads, parking lots and sidewalks.
- Take notice of other skaters, walkers, bicyclists and cars that use the same areas.
- Learn the proper skating techniques. Consider taking a skating class.