Sep 4, 2013 7:00 AM by Diana Kohnle
Health Tip: You May Need Surgery for Low Back Pain
(HealthDay News) -- If low back pain can't be eased with a combination of rest, medication or exercise, you may opt for surgery, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons says.
The group says these factors may indicate the need to visit the operating room:
- Pain in the leg or lower back interferes with daily activities and affects quality of life.
- Back pain develops to other neurological problems, such as weakness or numbness in the limbs.
- Bowel or bladder function are affected.
- Walking and standing are compromised.
- Therapy and medication have not been effective.