Mar 21, 2013 2:33 PM by Elaine Sheridan

Honor student dies after inhaling keyboard cleaner

A 14-year-old honor student from Northridge, Los Angeles, died this week after inhaling computer keyboard cleaner, a growing trend among students as young as eighth grade.

"I'm positive my daughter didn't realize it had the potential to kill her," Carolyn Doherty said.

Aria Doherty, a straight-A student at Nobel Middle School, died Monday. She'd been home alone for a couple of hours when she inhaled the duster.

Her parents believe it was her first time huffing -- also known as bagging or dusting.

Her older sister found Aria in bed with a can of compressed air still attached to her mouth, her nostrils taped shut. A plastic bag was found nearby.

"I would give anything to have her back," said Richard Doherty, Aria's father. "It just took her, like that."  "I just miss her. I wish she was here. It doesn't seem real," he said through tears.



Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4