Posted: Nov 4, 2012 11:53 AM by Matt Stafford
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - Investigators say an old and improperly vented furnace pumped carbon monoxide through a Colorado Springs apartment complex and led to the death of a 50-year-old man.
Our partners at The Gazette report Colorado Springs Utilities and the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department have determined that resident Benedo Valdez died after the furnace pumped the deadly gas into the Vista Peak Apartments on Oct. 7.
Authorities were called after several people reported feeling sick with symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning. The carbon monoxide alarms in several apartments also were going off.
The 32-building complex has been cited 14 times in the last five years by Colorado Springs Utilities for having dangerous appliances that were required to be shut off until they were fixed.