Apr 19, 2014 7:14 AM by Jeff Langan
MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - South Korean coast guard officials say three more bodies have been recovered from a sunken ferry, bringing the official death toll to 32.
But the grim count isn't expected to end there with more than 260 people still missing. Rescuers are planning more dives to try to recover at least some of the bodies believed trapped on board.
The captain of the ferry is under arrest on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need. Two crew members are also in custody.
A senior prosecutor says the third mate was navigating the ferry through tricky waters among some islands for the first time. The prosecutor said earlier that the captain was not on the bridge as required when the ferry Sewol was passing through the area. The official also says the captain abandoned people in need of help and rescue, escaping before the passengers.
The ship sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.
5 hours ago