Jan 23, 2014 12:00 PM by Jordan Mason
• All eight NCHC teams enter this weekend at the midway point of their conference slate, having played 12 games of a 24-game schedule. No. 5/5 St. Cloud State leads the pack but five teams are within three points (one win) of catching the Huskies. Four NCHC squads play conference games this weekend, while the other four NCHC teams play NCHC games next weekend.
• Two of the hottest teams in the country meet in an NCHC clash this weekend as No. 16 Denver hosts its long-time WCHA rival No. 18 North Dakota. Both teams are tied for second place in the standings and ride impressive streaks into the series. UND carries a nine-game unbeaten streak (8-0-1), which is the third-longest active unbeaten streak in the NCAA, into the series, while DU is 9-2-5 in its last 16 games (since Nov. 8).
• Two NCHC teams are participating in the inaugural North Star College Cup this weekend in St. Paul, Minn. as four Minnesota teams battle for the title. The second semifinal is a top-five match-up between SCSU and No. 1/1 Minnesota, while Minnesota Duluth plays in the first semifinal. UMD handed Minnesota one of its only two losses earlier this season and will face either the Gophers or Huskies again on Saturday.
• SCSU sophomore forward Jonny Brodzinski's younger brother, Michael, plays for Minnesota, creating a family reunion on Friday. The pair of Brodzinski brothers are the sons of Mike Brodzinski, who was a two-time All-America for St. Cloud State in 1986 and 1987.
• Western Michigan sophomore goaltender Lukas Hafner leads the country with a 1.61 GAA while Omaha junior forward Josh Archibald is tied for third in the NCAA with 17 goals. Both teams are off this weekend.