Posted: Feb 12, 2010 9:05 AM by Bea Karnes, News First 5
Updated: Feb 12, 2010 9:05 AM
Health officials say a New Hampshire woman who contracted a rare form of anthrax two months ago is able to get up and walk around, but will likely remain hospitalized for some time.
The young woman got sick a day after attending a drum circle in Durham in December. Authorities believe she swallowed naturally occurring anthrax spores propelled into the air by vigorous drumming.
She had been in critical condition with gastrointestinal anthrax. Dr. Jodie Dionne-Odom, deputy state epidemiologist, says the woman has been getting better and remains in stable condition.
Meanwhile, several companies have submitted bids to decontaminate the United Campus Ministry building, where anthrax spores were found on two drums and four other places.