May 30, 2014 7:57 PM by Eric Ross
COLORADO SPRINGS -- A fire two weeks ago displaced more than a dozen tenants living at the Santa Fe Apartments on the east side of Colorado Springs.
Although the fire didn't damage the building structurally, it did disturb asbestos in one apartment and in the hallway.
"I just need to know when I'm going to be able to get back to my day-to-day life and I haven't heard anything," tenant Raymond Boyd said.
He says management was cooperative at first, moving his family into a new apartment. He and other tenants we spoke with off camera tell us they still want access to their old apartment to see what items can be salvaged.
"We need our stuff to cook in, and our food," Boyd said.
A few other apartments suffered smoke damage. Greccio, the company managing the complex says they need to get an asbestos abatement team out to contain the effected areas before letting tenants back inside.
We asked management when the asbestos would be taken care of, and within hours of our phone call, maintenance crews were on scene.
Management tells News 5 they will begin letting tenants retreive undamaged items from their apartment beginning Friday. Tenants who have not received a phone call from management should call the leasing office to set up
If you have a story idea you'd like the News 5 Guardians team to investigate or look into, email us at TheGuardians@KOAA.com