Posted: May 8, 2011 9:24 AM by Carolyn Carver
Updated: May 9, 2011 9:45 AM
"We heard somebody was down there we felt we had to help," says Anthony Porco.
Porco, his brother and Gilbert Smith say they saw smoke leaving their security job but didn't see any firefighters nearby so they rushed to the burning house, kicked down the door and tried to find the homeowner inside.
"We couldn't do anything, we tried but we couldn't do nothing," Porco says emotionally.
By then, the flames were consuming the basement, and smoke was filling the house. For the brothers, it was too much to bare.
"I couldn't breathe, I went to the back door and my brother went to the front, we couldn't breathe, so my brother said get out," Porco describes.
Saving themselves, but heartbroken they couldn't save the man inside.
"We're sorry to the people, we're really sorry, we really tried," says Porco.
The 80-year-old man died in his home Sunday morning after fire officials say an accidental electrical fire engulfed his basement near Pueblo City Park.