National

Nov 24, 2013 6:08 PM by Jeff Langan

School district installs carbon monoxide detectors after gas leak

SANDY, Utah (AP) - A gas leak at a Utah elementary school that sickened more than 40 people has prompted a school district in the Salt Lake Valley to install carbon monoxide detectors in its schools.

Canyons School District announced plans to install the detectors in every building in the district after Monday's leak at Montezuma Creek Elementary prompted concerns about the fact that Utah is among many states that don't require schools to install such monitors.

The community of Montezuma Creek is on the Navajo reservation, about 15 miles from the Colorado border.

The Canyons district issued a statement last week saying the incident at Montezuma Creek Elementary "definitely brought a lot of awareness to the hazards" of carbon monoxide in schools.

More than 30 students and staff were taken by ambulance to Utah medical facilities, and a third-grade student and two women were airlifted to Colorado hospitals for treatment.

The Canyons district covers schools in an area around the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4