Apr 3, 2013 8:55 PM by Bill Folsom
A couple who lost their home to fire two weekends ago is offering a warning and thanks to the community. The century old home of Mike Gilford and Bernice Sinner was at the base of Pikes Peak in the small town of Cascade.
The couple was asleep around eleven at night when Gilford heard the smoke alarm. He woke Sinner, grabbed her by the arm and pushed her out the front door. "I only had a chance to grab a robe that was hanging on the bedroom door, no shoes, nothing," said Sinner. They say they had less than a minute to get out of the house.
They want others to know how quickly a fire can become life threatening. Sadly, the loss of their pets is evidence of how fast the fire turned deadly. Seconds after leaving Gilford tried to reach thee two dogs through a window to the bedroom where he could hear them. "I tried to get under the headboard and reach them, but I couldn't. I heard them whine a couple of times and then the smoke took them," said Gilford.
The couple is also grateful to friends and neighbors who have helped them with items for day to day living. Rebuilding will be much more difficult. Their insurance was recently cancelled "due to a tree that was growing near the house," said Sinner. They say it is their own fault for taking too long to resolve the issue. They are also determined to find a way to rebuild.
Because they do not have a permanent residence an account to help them has been opened at Bank of the Broadmoor.