Nov 11, 2009 5:45 AM by Jeannette Hynes
Colorado Springs' 2010 budget is closer to being set in stone. The city has to cut $29.4 million from next year's budget to be balanced.
That means, every department will feel the impact.
Some of the proposed cuts include:
- 125 layoffs citywide
- 10-day furlough for civilian employees
- $4 million from Police Department, including eliminating 40 police officer positions
- $1.4 million from Fire Department, including eliminating 11 firefighter positions
- $8.5 million from Parks, Recreational and Cultural services, including closing city pools, the Pioneers Museum at the beginning of the year, and closing all community centers, Rock Ledge Ranch, &Starsmore Discovery Center by April 1, 2010
- $6.1 million from Transit, including eliminating city-funded routes
Colorado Springs City Councilmembers will meet again on November 24 for the first reading of the budget.
You can read details about the budget on the City of Colorado Springs budget web page.
4 hours ago