Colorado

Apr 21, 2010 6:55 PM by Greg Boyce

Suit filed over Branch Inn explosion

The insurance company responsible for the Branch Inn is suing Xcel Energy and the City of Pueblo over the explosion that leveled the building in the Union Avenue Historic District.

It happened the afternoon of November 13, 2008.  Natural gas built up in the basement of the Branch Inn and when it exploded the bar was leveled as well as part of the building next door.  One person died, another was trapped in the rubble for hours and was seriously injured. 

In the lawsuit, Seneca Insurance says Xcel did not exercise the highest degree of care in maintaining the underground gas lines.  And that the city is to blame for filling up an old grease trap outside the Branch Inn with concrete a few weeks prior to the explosion.  That happened after numerous complaints of a foul odor in the area.

Damages were not specified.  The lawsuit asks that the amount of damages be determined in court.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4