Content Tagged As colorado_springs_fire_department

1 year 3 months ago

Fire victims took in homeless

COLORADO SPRINGS - More than a dozen people were left homeless this afternoon as the result of a house fire on the southeast side of Colorado Springs. Two families were sharing the home in the 2000 block of Monterey Drive. The fire started a few minutes after 12:00 p.m. and...

2 years 1 week ago

Red Rock fire caused by model rocket

COLORADO SPRINGS - Investigators with the Colorado Springs Fire Department say the five acre grass fire that started Thursday afternoon in the Red Rock Canyon Open Space was started by a model rocket. Fire crew found the model rocket while working to contain the flames, confirming an report taken by...

2 years 4 months ago

Injured climber wasn't wearing helmet

COLORADO SPRINGS - A man who was rock climbing at the Garden of the Gods had to be taken to the hospital after falling about 8 feet and hitting his head. The accident happened shortly after 1:30 Friday afternoon. The man and a climbing partner were ascending the western...

2 years 8 months ago

A view from the fire lines

Street by street though the Mountain Shadows neighborhood last Tuesday Colorado Springs Fire Department audio video specialist Steve Schopper recorded the unimaginable. "There were certain streets that I was uncomfortable going through, you're seeing smoke and fire going across the street, I'm not exactly sure where it turns to...

3 years 3 weeks ago

Ohio school shooting reveals value of social media

With people using social media like Twitter and Facebook more than ever, these sites are of growing importance in emergency situations. During the school shooting in Chardon, Ohio this week, students tweeted moment by moment, providing real-time updates to responders who used that information to direct aid. Local emergency...

3 years 5 months ago

Food on stove fills apartment with smoke

Firefighters from the Colorado Springs Fire Department arrived at the Wood Avenue Apartments located at 2919 Wood Avenue in Colorado Springs and found flame on top of a stove in a locked apartment. Firefighters had to make a forcible entry into the apartment and were able to quickly extinguish the...

3 years 7 months ago

Unsafe wiring forces out tenants

About 30 people in Colorado Springs have homeless for the past four days after the electricity at their apartment was shut off over safety concerns. Colorado Springs Fire Department spokeswoman Sunny Smaldino says the wiring in Beverly Apartments at 23 N. Wasatch Avenue hasn't been updated since the building...

3 years 8 months ago

Tickets for fireworks in Colorado Springs

Afternoon rain showers are music to the ears of local firefighters, but there's a long ways to go reversing dry conditions. So as we are approaching the Fourth of July, firefighters are getting nervous about fireworks. "We're going out to ensure compliance with the fire code and the burn...

3 years 8 months ago

Think before you light

Thinking about setting off fireworks this weekend in Colorado Springs? Think again. The Colorado Springs Fire Department will be running patrols through Monday; they'll be confiscating fireworks and issuing tickets. The department wants to remind people that fireworks are illegal in Colorado Springs and fire conditions have been...

4 years 1 month ago

Working house fire in Colorado Springs

Colorado Springs fire crews are working on a house fire in the 4200 block of Crowells Mill Square. That's near Airport and Murray. Firefighters have called a second alarm--meaning they're asking for additional fire crews. The fire is said to be in the attic. We have a crew on...

4 years 4 months ago

Guns 'N Hoses

Vlad Lundquist lost his legs, but not his love for sports. This teenager began playing sled hockey four years ago and says, "Just going fast is my thing," and he currently plays for the Colorado Springs Sled Hockey Association. In recent years, the sport has gained momentum and...

4 years 6 months ago

Owner plans to reopen burned pizzeria

A kitchen fire has closed a popular Colorado Springs pizzeria. The Borriello Brothers restaurant located at the intersection Barnes and Oro Blanco caught fire just before 6:00 Monday during the dinner rush hour. The fire department says all 12 customers and 5 employees were safely evacuated. Manager Jim Fiducia...

4 years 7 months ago

Rollover accident on Old Stage Road

Four people were sent to the hospital this morning after a rollover on Old Stage Road west of Colorado S prings. Several agencies including Colorado State Patrol, the National Forest Service, and Colorado Springs Fire Department are were on scene. A Trooper on the scene says the driver...

4 years 10 months ago

Wind proves troublesome

The heavy winds Saturday fanned grass fires, knocked off tree limbs severely damaged a large steel building in Colorado Springs. Several trains were stopped on the tracks through downtown after an entire wall of a steel heating and air conditioning building was blown outward onto the track. The...

4 years 10 months ago

Mass CPR training planned Tuesday

The Colorado Springs Fire Department plans to train hundreds, if not thousands in CPR before the Sky Sox game Tuesday evening. CPR, which stands for cardio pulminary resuscitation can save a life when someone has a heart attack. Most recent statistics released by the Colorado Springs Fire Department show...

4 years 11 months ago

Smoking causes $140,000 Colorado Springs fire

A house fire that sent a woman to the hospital by ambulance Wednesday morning was caused by careless smoking, according to Colorado Springs Fire Department investigators. Her injuries are not life threatening. The fire broke out around 7:40, in the 2200 block of Constellation Dr. Colorado Springs Dispatch reported...

5 years 1 day ago

House fire in Wasson area

Colorado Springs Fire Department is on scene at a house fire at the 2200 block of Lockhaven Drive. Firefighters were called just after 12:30 Saturday afternoon. CSFD tells News First 5 that it took only about 5 minutes to knock down the fire. 24 firefighters responded to the scene....

5 years 1 month ago

Used tent drive for Haiti

Do you have a tent that's gathering dust in your garage, basement, attic or storage shed? Now's your chance to put it to good use. The Colorado Springs Fire Department and American Medical Response (AMR) are collecting tents that are 4-person or larger. Large tarps are also useful. ...

5 years 2 months ago

Fire in northeast Colorado Springs

Firefighters are cleaning up after a fire in northeast Colorado Springs, in the 2200 block of Rockhurst Blvd. There are reports of heavy smoke damage inside the structure. There are no reports of injuries but the street is blocked off while crews work.

5 years 2 months ago

Door-to-door fire prevention campaign

The American Red Cross Pikes Peak Chapter and the Colorado Springs Fire Department will go door-to-door this Saturday to educate residents about fire safety. Between 10 am - 1 pm, volunteers will talk with residents and leave behind door hangers with fire safety information. The door hangers include information...

5 years 6 months ago

Donations show bond between fire departments

There was a particularly touching moment during the Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon Monday afternoon, a show of brotherhood between the Pueblo and Colorado Springs Fire Departments. As firefighters from the CSFD brought in their cash donations from the Fill the Boot campaign, Scott Reiman of the International Association of Fire...

5 years 6 months ago

Firefighters save family's pets

Smoke detectors are credited with helping to save a Colorado Springs family's pets after their house caught fire Tuesday afternoon. It happened around 12:30 pm at a home in the 500 block of Yellowstone Drive. The fire department says the family wasn't at home when the fire started and that...

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4